Our library Remote Learning section is a place to find all kinds of helpful resources for students and families. Find out how to access audio books, e-books, and so much more. Don't miss the Library Blast!!
- PBS Bringing the Universe to the Classroom - There's a universe out there to explore!
- Parent Trapped is a brand new podcast for parents with interviews with authors, educators and other experts giving tips and real-world stories about raising kids in quarantine.
- Sleep is Your Superpower - Maybe there's more time for sleep lately, or maybe it's hard to get good sleep right now. This TED talk goes into the science of why sleep is so powerful. Worth 20 minutes of your time.
- Sensory Friendly Online Meetings and Learning - Here are some visual reminders of how to be comfortable when online for meetings or school work.
- 25 Best Podcasts for Kids from Common Sense Media
- Learn At Home Activities for Grades 6 - 8 - University of Maine Cooperative Extension offers a huge assortment of activities and other resources for learning at home.
- How to Protect Kids' Mental Health During the Pandemic
- What to Watch, Read and Play While Your Kids are Stuck Indoors - Another list of good solid suggestions from Common Sense Media
- Two Months of Virtual Field Trips - Here's a calendar of links to great online museums and other locations families might like to visit.
- Parents Ultimate Guide to Google Classroom - This is from Common Sense Media and is very comprehensive. Please note that South Portland has restrictions set on Classroom so some of the concerns about privacy aren't issues. Also, students can only reply via text when a teacher opens that for an assignment.
- DIY Science Experiments and More At-Home Activities
- How to get kids ready to video chat for online classes
- Hackers are very active with all of us online so much - Be aware of phishing attacks in your email especially those with COVID-19 themes
- Keyboards for iPads? Not all will work, but there are options.
- Parent/Guardian summaries in Google Classroom
Parents may get daily or weekly summaries of assignments that are upcoming and/or completed for each of their student's classes. Follow the link for more information.
- Free Online Events and Activities for Kids at Home
- Things Your Student Could Do on Their Own (mostly)
- Reduce Student Anxiety (and Your Own) During Uncertain Times